1778-9ish riding habit, 18th century, projects

A Productive Weekend

After three days of pretty much straight sew sew sew, I’ve got the habit jacket draped, patterned, cut out, and half-way assembled.

It was difficult to decide exactly how the back of the jacket should look, as I can’t find any extant examples of this cutaway style.  I initially decided the back should be cut straight across, as most habits I’ve seen do this… but then when I looked at the pictures, it just looked strange!  So I added a gentle curve towards the CB.

Here’s the mockup, along with the start of the jacket — fronts & backs together, collar started and just draped on to see how its working.  I wasn’t sure if I should stiffen the collar and lapels at all, but I decided to go for it as the stiffening could only help, so there’s a layer of linen/cotton fustian in there.

Figuring out the side pleats was CRAZY HARD.  Thank god for the detailed diagrams in the men’s coat pattern in Costume Close-Up.  Even so, it took multiple attempts, talking out loud, and a call to Francis to get it figured out.  It’s SUPER cool, but super crazy.

My iPhone seems to have decided that my wool is blue, but it really is green!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  • Reply Adrienne Descloux February 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

    Woot!

  • Reply Anie February 23, 2011 at 2:56 am

    Fabulous as always!

  • Reply Madame Ornata February 23, 2011 at 10:29 am

    Wow that looks great, can’t wait to see it finished.

  • Leave a Reply