It’s felt good to throw off the mothballs and stretch my sewing skills again — it’s been too long since I’ve sat down to sew! I finally found some time to get some decent mockup fabric a few weeks ago — I love Stonemountain & Daughter for having 10,000 weights of white cotton in house. Usually I go there for batiste, this time I bought a ton of cotton canvas. I cut out the latest draft of my mockup, which didn’t take long, and then traced all the boning lines.
How do you make pattern markings? Often, if the (generally lining) fabric is light enough (in weight/color), I can just lay it on top of the pattern and trace the lines. If it’s a mockup, I use a fine pen; if it’s the real deal, I usually use a plain old pencil (I’ve experimented with the various chalk products, but find that they give me a less precise line and wear off quickly). But when I’m working with heavier fabric, and there’s a lot to mark (like in a corset), it’s harder. Back in the day my artist husband had a light board and I LOVED using that; nowadays, I make my own by using painter’s tape to tape the pattern to the window, then tape the fabric over that, and trace (only works during daylight!).
So it’s still only boned in one half (and even then, only in the center front, center back, and some of the side front pieces), and I haven’t slit the tabs… but at least it’s in sturdier fabric with no revisions. Next, I need to find time to hang out with Jenn and get her to look things over, but I’m really pleased with where it’s at!
I did finally settle on fabric. I am 100% thrilled with Burnley & Trowbridge — I emailed Angela with questions about which of their linens would be most appropriate, and she put up with about 3 or 4 rounds of further emails, mailed me swatches at no charge, and ended up selling me some fabric out of her personal stash! I bought some heavy linen canvas (that was the stash fabric), as well as some linen/cotton fustian in case the canvas piece isn’t big enough for two layers.