The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Brooklyn Museum are both holding fashion exhibitions this summer to showcase the Brooklyn Museum costume collection. May 5-Aug. 15, the Met has American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity, while from May 7-Aug. 1, the Brooklyn Museum has American High Style: Fashioning a National Collection. You can see images of all the exhibited garments online: here’s what will be at the Met, and here’s what will be at the Brooklyn Museum.
Some standouts to me:
- A number of Worth ballgowns
- A number of late 1900s/early 1910s evening dresses, like this one and this one by Poiret
- This 1897 riding habit
- Some pieces by Paquin
- This sexy 1913-14 dinner dress
- A number of Worth day dresses
- This Worth evening dress — zoom so you can see the bodice fabric closeup, b/c it’s SUPER weird and SUPER cool
- A mourning dress belonging to Queen Victoria
- This cool Schiaparelli parasol
You can preorder the catalog from Amazon — it comes out June 15, 2010.