1875 candy cane dress, 19th century, projects

We have achieved sleeves!

Having a REALLY bad cold (literally two days on the couch with a fever) slowed down progress, but I wrestled with my mockup and finally got a sleeve that I liked. I realized that the problem was that the basic sleeve sloper I was using (drafted out of The Costume Technician’s Handbook) wasn’t fitted enough at ALL. Once I got a fitted sleeve, it was easy to add the flare below the elbow.

I also trimmed the neckline, and was thrilled to find that the extra top buttonhole is indeed covered by the trim, so I took off the matching top button and all is well! Yay!

Obviously I’m not going to be getting to the talma wrap, but I should be able to finish this for Sat. (GBACG day at Dickens Fair) with no problem. Just need to trim the bodice hem and the sleeves (still finalizing what I’m going to do there, but it’ll be a reverse color scheme — red/white trim on the solid white sleeves).

necktrim sleeve_mockup1 sleeve1

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply